Sunday 22 April 2007

Masturbation

I was surprised to find this topic in the weekly lecture programme. I think it is the most controversial in the whole module. Although masturbation is something uncommon it is still a taboo. I know it hard to speak of this because it is something private and intimate just like sex. What I don’t understand is treating masturbation as something evil and supposedly bad for our health. A popular thought I have found on the Internet was that masturbation causes blindness or mental illness but I couldn’t find any scientific evidence for that. For me it’s just a stupid superstition coming out of nowhere. I find masturbation as something completely normal. We all do it in one way or another. It feels good and helps to release tension. No one gets hurt while masturbating (unless you play with a vacuum cleaner) and I can’t see any logic in treating it as something bad. I don’t think about masturbation as primary sexual activity of mankind. We discover it sooner than sex but it is just a preface to something superior. It can’t be even compared to sharing feelings and pleasures with a partner in a love act. Here is something interesting for those who think differently. In the USA there is a National Day of Masturbation. http://www.counterpunch.org/block05072005.html

1 comment:

Ice-Princess said...

I agree that though not uncommon, its still very much a taboo subject..personally i would find it a difficult topic to discuss, but i think most people do judging by the amount of people who came to the lecture and laughed at a lot the lecturer said...i think it will always remain a taboo subject and don't really see the need to discuss it